Galax, Virginia is on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Virginia Historic Landmark! Our scenic Mountain Views hold unsurpassed beauty and offer a plethora of recreational opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. We work hard to keep our community an enjoyable and safe haven in which to raise our families. Galax is known as the "World's Capital of Old-Time Mountain Music."
Blue Ridge Parkway, the New River, New River Trail State Park, hiking, horseback riding, canoeing, tubing, kayaking, fishing, picnicing, golfing. The New River is the second oldest river in the world.
Restaurants & Lodging
Galax and the surrounding areas offer many dining options, from fast food to gourmet fine dining. We also have plenty of places for your family and friends to stay when they come to visit: downtown hotels, quaint B&B's, cabins along the creek, and more.
The folks in our community have created many opportunities that bring in art and cultural events. If you enjoy theater, art exhibits, festivals (like the Old Time Fiddler's Convention), musical performances (and not just bluegrass!), and craft shows, then you'll feel right at home in Galax!
There are plenty of organizations to belong to in Galax. You can get to know us by lending a helping hand in our community! Some of the many choices are the Lions Club, the Rotary Club, Arts & Cultural Council of the Twin Counties, the Art Guild, and the Theater Guild.
Where Is Galax?
- an independent city in Southwest Virginia
- on the border between Carroll and Grayson Counties
- 10 miles West from 1-77 VA Exit 14
- 20 miles West from I-77 NC Exit 100
- 7 miles N of Blue Ridge Parkway Mile Post 215
- 1 hour from Winston-Salem, NC
- 2 hours from Roanoke, VA
- 5 hours from Richmond, VA
- 4 hours from Washington DC
- 6 hours from Virginia Beach & Hampton Roads
- 10 miles from a major interstate
- 2 hours from several major airports
- 2 hours from an Amtrak station